UCLA earned a Pac-12 title today with a 5-3 clinching win over Arizona and USC’s 7-5 loss to Cal. The second-ranked Bruins are 40-12 overall and 21-6 in the Pac-12; and finish the regular season at Oregon May 22-24.
This past Friday night, Bruin ace and WCL alum James Kaprielian took part in UCLA baseball history as the junior right-hander was part of a combined no-hitter, the first no-no in school history. Kaprielian tossed 9 no-hit innings in UCLA’s 1-0 10th-inning walk-off win vs. the Wildcats.
While UCLA swept Arizona, defending Pac-12 champion Oregon State swept Stanford in Palo Alto to improve its Pac-12 mark to 17-9-1. The second-place Beavers finish their season versus Cal (16-10) at Goss Stadium May 22-24.
Either UCLA or Oregon State has captured the Pac-12 crown since 2011 with UCLA winning titles in 2011, 2012 and 2015; and OSU winning the past two springs.
Both programs leverage the West Coast League to further develop their student-athletes as head coaches John Savage of UCLA and Pat Casey of Oregon State place most of their underclassmen in the league.
Kaprielian and UCLA junior outfielder Ty Moore both got their first tastes of college baseball with the Wenatchee AppleSox in 2012. Kaprielian made 9 appearances, recorded two saves and posted a 1.80 ERA while striking out 20 over 15 innings pitched. Mooore got 167 at bats with wood and hit .305.
Ty Moore leads the 2015 Bruins in hitting with a .347 batting average and RBIs with 47. Kaprielian has been dominant going 9-4 over 14 starts while striking out 105 over 92.2 innings pitched and posting a 1.94 ERA.
Other WCL alums shining for the Bruins are junior right-handed pitcher Cody Poteet (Walla Walla Sweets, 2013), frosh pitcher Griffin Channing (Wenatchee AppleSox, 2014), junior starting second baseman Trent Chatteron (Bellingham Bells, 2013), sophomore starting outfielder Brett Stephens (Wenatchee AppleSox, 2013), sophomore starting first baseman Luke Perisco (Walla Walla Sweets, 2013) and starting sophomore outfielder Kort Peterson (Cowlitz Black Bears, 2014).
The Bruins bench also includes WCL alums redshirt sophomore southpaw Hunter Virant (Walla Walla Sweets, 2012), redshirt sophomore pitcher Nick Kern (Yakima Valley Pippins, 2014), sophomore pitcher Scott Burke (Klamath Falls Gems, 2013), redshirt junior catcher Justin Hazard (Cowlitz Black Bears, 2012), frosh infielder Nick Valaika (Wenatchee AppleSox, 2014), freshman third baseman Sean Bouchard (Walla Walla Sweets, 2014), sophomore pitcher Moises Ceja (Bellingham Bells, 2014), junior infielder Brett Urabe (Victoria HarbourCats, 2013), frosh pitcher Nathan Hadley (Wenatchee AppleSox, 2014) and redshirt sophomore pitcher Chase Radan (Bellingham Bells, 2013).
WCL alums contributing at Oregon State include:
* Starting pitchers Drew Rasmussen (Wenatchee AppleSox, 2014) and Jake Thompson (Bend Elks, 2014).
* Relief pitchers Scotland Church (Kelowna Falcons, 2014), John Pomeroy (Wenatchee AppleSox, 2014), Trent Shelton (Medford Rogues, 2014), Kevin Flemer (Kelowna Falcons, 2014), Austin Woodward (Yakima Valley Pippins, 2014) and Clay Bauer (Bend Elks, 2012, 2014)
* Catchers Logan Ice (Corvallis Knights, 2014) and Dane Lund (Corvallis Knights, 2011-2014)
* First Baseman Gabe Clark (Victoria HarbourCats, 2014)
* Infielders Caleb Hamilton (Cowlitz Black Bears, 2014) and Jackson Soto (Corvallis Knights, 2014)
* Outfielders Billy King (Bend Elks, 2014), Joe Gillette (Wenatchee AppleSox, 2014), Elliott Cary (Cowlitz Black Bears, 2014) and Joey Jansen (Wenatchee AppleSox, 2013)