Walla Walla Sweets right-hander Kyle Molnar tossed a no-hitter last night (July 27) versus the Kitsap BlueJackets at Gene Lobe Field. The future UCLA Bruin pitcher walked 3 and struck out 8 in the Sweets’ 2-0 road win.
Molnar, a senior this past spring at Aliso Niguel High School in California, has made 4 appearances and 3 starts this summer, and is 1-0 with a 2.94 ERA over 18.1 innings pitched. He was selected in the 25th round of the 2015 MLB June draft by the St. Louis Cardinals.
Learn more about Kyle Molnar in this piece by Clint Longnecker of Baseball America, “A Day In The Life: Kyle Molnar.”
There have been 8 no-hitters thrown in the WCL since the league was established in 2005, one of which was a perfect game.
* Clayton Mortensen (Gonzaga) and Quinn LeSage (Campbell) of Wenatchee combined on a no-hitter vs. Kelowna, the first in the WCL, on July 27, 2005 at Elks Stadium. Wenatchee won 11-2. Mortensen pitched 6.1 innings and gave up two earned runs (walked 4, struck out 5). LeSage pitched 2.2 innings.
* DJ Lidyard (Lower Columbia College) of Wenatchee tossed a no-hitter vs. Moses Lake at Larson Playfield on July 19, 2006. Wenatchee won 2-0.
* Nathan Pickett (Cal State LA) of Kelowna threw a 5-inning no-hitter on August 8, 2008 at Elks Stadium vs. Moses Lake. Kelowna won 6-0 (game shortened due to rain).
* Tommy Elrod (Sacramento State) and Colton Farrar (Texas Tech) of Kelowna combined on a no-hitter vs. Moses Lake at Larson Playfield on June 12, 2009. Kelowna won 1-0. Elrod pitched 7 innings (walked 5, struck out 6) and Farrar 2 innings.
* Richie Mascheri (Western Illinois) of Kitsap threw an 8-inning no-hitter vs. Bend on June 18, 2011 at Kitsap County Fairgrounds. Kitsap won 3-0 (game shortened due to rain).
* Greg Mahle (UC Santa Barbara) of Corvallis tossed a no-hitter vs. Cowlitz at Goss Stadium on August 3, 2012. Corvallis won 14-0.
* Spenser Watkins (Western Oregon) of Kitsap tossed a perfect game, the first and only WCL perfect game thrown, vs. Victoria at Kitsap County Fairgrounds on July 26, 2013. Kitsap won 2-0.
* Kyle Molnar (UCLA) of Walla Walla tossed a no-hitter vs. Kitsap at Kitsap County Fairgrounds on Monday, July 27, 2015. Walla Walla won 2-0.